Thursday, August 9, 2007

Degage, God, and our purpose

Hello all!
Sorry we did not post yesterday. It was raining so hard we could not get the site to come up. I will try to fill you in as much as possible and then later we will try to post some pictures as we have had problems with that as well. It is hot. I mean real hot, but the biggest thing is the rain. It's not like it rains all the time, usually later in the afternoon it gets dark, and then the heavens open up. Yesterday, it rained harder than it has before. Unfortunantly we were in the trucks on our way back from an afternoon of regrouping at the resort. It was going okay until the windshield wiper on our truck went flying off. Troy was way ahead of us and did not see us stop. When I (Nate) stopped the truck and everyone in the back ( Yes, the open back) of the truck thought I was being funny. I could not see it was raining so hard and the last thing you want to do is drive on a Haitian road without seeing. So Lance and I surveyed the situation and after we realized there was no way to fix the wiper, we decided to degage. This is a Haitian saying that means make it work, soooooo Lance crawled out on top of the truck so he could wipe the windshield by hand. I got inside the truck and all we saw was this hand with a wiper in it going across the windshield. We all laughed so hard I could not drive for like five minutes. You should have seen the Haitian's faces when they saw a blan on top of a truck wiping the windshield. It was great!! When we caught up to Troy, he came to tell us the road was washed out but did not see Lance right away, when he did he about fell over laughing. We then had to go off the road to park outside the gate, as we drove in I hit a rut about two feet deep. In slow motion we watched Lance roll of the top, then off the hood, then on the ground. There was a nervous hush in the truck until Lance got up cheering with his hands in the air. We then were all rolling with laughter again. The things we do for the gospel!!
God is once again moving today. The new kids came in and are even more excited and ready than the last. We have great video we will try to post later.
I must tell you one story though. Robinson came and said that a couple boys had forged a ticket to come in. He was going to send them away. We did not feel right about this so I went to talk to them. We brought them in and they were so scared to have to meet me. I asked them if they wanted to come in because they wanted to hear about Jesus. They said YES!! I asked them if they were going to make trouble. They said NO!! I said then if you want to learn about Jesus we want you here, you may come in. Their faces lit up like I have never seen. I walked up with them and put my arm around them and they were just overwhelmed that they were welcomed. God is good. Another little girl walked in with a track that we had handed out last time, all worn and tattered, because she had no Bible, that was what she had.
Please keep your prayers coming. Souls ARE being added to the Kingdom this week. It is humbling and awesome that God would have us here to participate.
You are reading less than 1% of what is happening so be ready for us when we return. :(
We love you all. We ALL have a job to do for the Lord, look to HIM for strength!!

3 comments:

Cheri said...

Wow- it sounds like you are having quite a week.
How awesome that God is using all of you to make such an impact on so many lives over there.
Can't wait to see and here about it all!
Cheri

Mari said...

Wow - sounds like you are having quite an amazing time. I checked out the pictures on Livesays blog and they were great. I especially liked the one of the washed out road!

Deleted 2014 said...

You guys are doing a wonderful job. We can not wait to hear more details when you return. Keeping you in our prayers. God Bless all of you today at the carnival. Brenda mentioned you might need 'extra' prayer today.
love to all you -
Tess and Carl